Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thing #17: Blinkx Exploration (Replacement for Sandbox Wiki)

Well, I finally hit a pothole on the information superhighway. (Does anyone still call it that anymore?) Thing #17 called for us to join the Maryland Libraries 2.0 Sandbox Wiki, but I couldn't figure out how to join. I saw nothing on the sign-in page telling me how to join if I wasn't a member. Maybe they automatically signed up the original participants? Anyway....

In its place, I visit a list of 43 Things by Stephen Abrams of SirsiDynix and chose to do a little exploration of blinkx.com which allows users to search a conglomeration of online video sites like Youtube (more on that in my posting for Thing #20). You can search by keyword or by clicking on one of a list of 20 categories, including TV shows, music, fashion, kids, for teens, home and living, etc. You can also browse by channel. (I haven't yet discovered what the difference is between a channel and a category though. There seems to be some overlap between them. One neat feature is the ability to see your search results in a video wall. The downside is that there's isn't much detail that way telling what each video is about. You can also see a video wall of selected categories right on the main page. The music and tv show sections are curious in that I have a feeling many aren't legimately online. I know AOL Television, YouTube, and imdb.com do offer some titles with permission of music labels, artists, and TV production cos. but I'm not sure if Blinkx links to any of these. Many of its links certainly fall outside of these realms. I know this has been a long term problem for the Web that is still being worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment