Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thing #20: YouTube

Probably no site on the Web has gained more popularity and widespread recognition since the 23 Things project was created than YouTube.com. Unfortunately, searching the thousands of videos here is not easy unless you are looking for something extremely specific (i.e. a song title, artist, TV show title, etc.). YouTube offers the option of browsing channels, but the channels don't have subchannels. So, browsing the entertainment channel just brings you to a wall of videos that subscribers linked to that channel. It seems that finding anything by subject is very serendipitous. After seeing the Library Dominoes video that 23 Things linked to, I decided to search for other library humor videos. However, I found that my search results were very hit or miss. Some were close to the target but others were only barely related to the topic at hand. (Maybe I just didn't use specific enough search terms though.) It's interesting to note that it is this difficult to search through these digital materials considering that YouTube is now owned by Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment